Entries will be deemed ineligible if they breach any of the Festival rules or any of the category specific Awards rules.
Following detailed consultation and discussion with industry leaders eurobest by Ascential Events (Europe) Ltd wishes to make clear its policy on entries into its Festivals which breach the rules.
- There are many definitions of “scam”, and the issue is rarely black and white. As such, we want to develop a policy that is not only workable but also enforceable.
- The role of Ascential Events (Europe) Ltd (Cannes Lions, Lions Health, Lions Innovation, Lions Entertainment, eurobest, Dubai Lynx and Spikes Asia) is to set the benchmark for creativity in communications, to celebrate creativity and to reward the industry for outstanding creative work.
- Our role is not to come between the client and the agency; it is not to have a negative material effect on agency business; and it is not to penalise individuals from an agency who have not had any association with the work in question.
- Our key rules in this regard are simple:
I. All entries must have been made within the context of a normal paying contract with a client, except in the case of self-promotion and work for non-profit organisations. The client must have paid for all, or the majority of, the media/production costs. In the case of work for non-profit organisations, the client must have approved the media implementation and production.
II. Speculative and conceptual advertising are not eligible for entry.
III. Work must be submitted exactly as published, aired or implemented and must not be modified for the awards entry.
- It is our policy that when a piece of work comes into question, we request clarification or further information according to the complaint raised. If it is not forthcoming or not adequate, we withdraw the award.
- In future we will continue to withdraw awards that do not meet our entry criteria and will announce that we have done so.
- Our entry criteria include:
Submitting full client details (including name, position and full contact details)
A senior officer (CD, CEO or Chairman) from the entrant company must authorise the entry
That the client is legitimate and that the product corresponds with their portfolio
Judges are offered the opportunity to raise queries with the organisers and information is gathered accordingly throughout the judging (media schedules, client authorisation, etc.)
We believe that banning agencies from entering on a wholesale basis is unfair on blameless individuals. There are many people who work in agencies who may not be involved with an erroneous entry and therefore should not be penalised. Our policy will be to ban the individuals named on the credit list if a scam is discovered.
- The length and nature of the ban will be decided based on the seriousness of the case involved. We take the view that not all issues are the same and each case should be dealt with on its own merits.
In summary, the key issues which will guide us through this process are:
- Was the work approved and paid for by the client?
- Was the work run using media space paid for by the client?
If an entry fails to meet this or other entry criteria, we will withdraw the award and make an appropriate announcement.
If we deem it is required, we will ban the individuals involved from entering our awards for a specific period of time which will be decided at that time.